Since I’ve cut all my hair off, I’ve felt the need to dress more feminine. I’m not one of those curvalicious women, so I have to make an effort to avoid looking like a twelve year old boy. But it’s summertime and I don’t want to wear jeans anymore anyway – it’s time for dresses and skirts! So I’ve decided to fill my closet with casual skirts/dresses to wear when I’m not at work.
Thankfully, this resolution fell at the end of the semester when Ben is in his final two weeks of school. He’s been working like crazy, which gives me unlimited hours of guilt-free sewing.
So I decided to try out this pattern: Simplicity 2451
I had originally picked a crazy looking orange plaid fabric that was given to me in a load of freebies. But as I cut the pattern I realized why I had never worked with plaid before – cause it’s frickin hard! When you use plaid, you’re supposed to match the pattern on all the seams. Well, that’s just way more of an effort than I want to put forth. (In case it’s not obvious, I’m a lazy seamstress.) Also, my theory of cutting patterns based on wearing ease listed on the pattern proved false in this case. I cut out for size 4 because the wearing ease listed was still 3 inches larger than my measurements. Once I cut the waistband I could tell just by looking at it that it was way too small. Ended up needing a 12. (If I was a good little seamstress, I’d make a muslin first. But again, I’m lazy) Anywho, glad I figured that out on the plaid. So when I cut the fabric I ended up using, I cut the right size.
And here’s the finished product!
These fabrics were also in the freebie stash. I have no idea what kind of fabric the blue is – it has a linen-look, but feels like some synthetic blend. It’s comfy though. I didn’t have enough of it, so all the linings and facings are a striped cotton, which I think gives it a fun little hidden pizzaz.
This pattern had four length options, and I went with the shortest because, after all, it is summer people. I knew I needed to add length to it, but was, again, too lazy to add it in when I cut the pattern. So I did a hem facing for the first time. That’s when instead of turning up the bottom edge a couple times to make the hem, you sew another piece of fabric to the bottom edge and turn that piece up and sew. This way, instead of losing 1 1/4 inch off the bottom, I only lost 1/4 inch. Doesn’t sound like a lot, but an inch can make a difference.
Perhaps a bit short for work, and not so free in the tummy for picnics like my last dress, but it’ll be great for running errands and such.
This is a great pattern. The curved waistband and pleats are very flattering, and there are four patterns offered that each really have a different look. Depending on the type of fabric, I could make some great skirts for summer or winter. The next length would be a great skirt for work. I plan on making several more of these for staple wardrobe pieces.
Next up I’ve got a bunch of seersucker. What fabric is more perfect for a deep south summer! We’ll see what turns out…